About Forestry Policing
A South Wales Police secondment to Forestry Commission Wales
The South Wales Forestry Commission district experiences more incidents of crime and disorder than any other forest district in the UK.
In January 2007 I commenced a three-year secondment to Forestry Commission Wales. I’m an operational officer who is part of Communities & Partnerships, K’ division, South Wales Police. For the period of the secondment I will be based with the Forestry Commission at their district office near Resolven, Neath.
My main roles and responsibilities are:
· To collate and develop intelligence and information regarding forest crime
· Carry out high visibility mobile & foot patrols
· Identify the respective police units or outside agencies best suited to tackle problem areas
· Plan and execute police and multi-agency enforcement & covert operations
· Provide Forestry Commission staff with advice in relation to crime prevention and legislation
· Assist, advise and work with local police units (including your Neighbourhood Policing Teams) in tackling forest crime
· Raise the awareness of forest crime through local and national media
· Co-ordinate & develop a network of ‘Forest Watch’ schemes throughout the South Wales area in order to maximise information & intelligence