Welcome to Ourbobby.com - our area, our police, our say.

Partnerships and Communities together in South Wales Police.

OurBobby.com Home

Clydach

Camp Safe

Date Published: 17/06/2012

The summer period is once again upon us and the campsites/caravan parks will be brimming with tourists. However over the last couple of months there have been some very unfortunate incidents highlighted in the news involving CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING which was caused by using barbecues inside tents. Please see the very important information below to ensure you have a safe holiday in the Gower peninsular.    

 

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced when a fuel such as charcoal, gas or petrol burns incompletely. This could be because an appliance isn’t working properly or might simply happen as part of its normal function. Barbecues, for example, produce carbon monoxide even when they are working well.  

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas and is poisonous. In high concentrations it can kill swiftly. In smaller concentrations CO poisoning can give symptoms similar to flu or food poisoning. Look out for headaches, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and weakness - but the best advice is to avoid any chance of being poisoned in the first place.  

Never take a barbecue into a tent, awning, caravan or motorhome . A warm, smouldering barbecue gives off plenty of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO), which can kill.  

  • Never use a fuel-burning appliance to heat your tent or awning . Gas and kerosene heaters – unless they are permanently fitted in a caravan or motorhome – should only be used outside. Stoves and barbecues are designed for cooking not space heating.  
  • Never run a gas-, petrol- or diesel-powered generator inside a caravan, motorhome, tent or awning.  
  • Don’t cook inside your tent or awning , unless there’s an area specifically designed for this purpose and you’re sure there is adequate ventilation. To work safely gas, meths and petrol stoves need more ventilation than your tent or awning is designed to provide and there’s also the risk of fire.  
  • Don’t use any other gas, charcoal or liquid fuel appliances inside a tent or awning . Gas-powered fridges and lamps, for example, also need plenty of ventilation to prevent them producing poisonous carbon monoxide. Tents and awnings aren’t generally designed with this in mind.  
  • Don’t rely on a carbon monoxide (CO) detector to keep you safe in a tent or awning. They may be useful at home, in a caravan or in a motorhome, but they are not designed for the conditions found in a tent or awning.  
  • Always have gas appliances in your caravan or motorhome serviced regularly.

News Blog

Link to home page