Date of Meeting:
Civic Offices, Angel Street @ 6.30pm
Location of Concern:
Issues with boy racers travelling from the dual carriageway into Rice St at high speed, sometimes racing one another resulting in one of the vehicles being driven on the wrong side of the road.
- >> Patrols - 01/06/2012
- PCSO Freeth carried out patrols in the area around 8pm - everything was in order, no vehicles causing anti social behaviour/speeding.
- >> PACT Meeting Update - 22/05/2012
- The Newcastle PACT Meeting was held this evening, 10 persons attended and it was decided that this would remain a priority. Patrols will continue and although the level of anti social behaviour has reduced, there is still the perception of the public parking their vehicles in the Rhiw Car Park to consider.
- >> Patrols - 15/05/2012
- PCSO Freeth patrolled the area and attended at the Rhiw Car Park around 8pm tonight, there were no issues at the location. He will continue to monitor the area.
- >> Patrols - 29/04/2012
- PCSO Freeth was back in the area this evening - several vehicles at the location but there were no problems, no noise issues or anti social behaviour issues - everything was in order.
- >> Patrols - 11/04/2012
- The area was patrolled this evening by PCSO Freeth. There were no reports of anti social behaviour.
- >> Section 59 Warning Issued - 08/04/2012
- PCSO Freeth had cause to issue a driver with a Section 59 Warning today. There were only 6 vehicles at the location and there were no further issues.
- >> Engage with youths - 14/03/2012
- PCSO Freeth, South Wales Fire & Rescue Service Station Manager Ian Buckley, and RTC Reduction Officers Carys Stubbs and Katie Allen attended at the Rhiw Car Park to engage with youngsters at the location. This was a successful meeting and it is hoped that another event will held at the location in the near future.
- >> Patrols - 11/03/2012
PCSO Freeth carried out patrols over the weekend - there were no issues and no reports of anti social behaviour during the daytime.
However, at 8.45pm Sunday night (11th) the driver of a vehicle was found to be causing anti social behaviour at the Rhiw Car Park and was issued with a Section 59 Warning. This resulted in the vehicle being confiscated and the driver having to pay a fine before the vehicle can be returned to them.
- >> Joint visit - 08/03/2012
- PCSO Freeth is arranging a joint visit with officers from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service to engage with the youths at the location.
- >> Patrols - 21/02/2012
- PCSOs Heather Dobbs and Lisa Moore stopped 2 youths on motor bikes at the premises and they were advised accordingly. Later, PCSOs Smith and Freeth attended and spoke to a number of persons in the car park but they were not causing any anti social behaviour problems.
- >> Patrols - 20/02/2012
- PCSOs Freeth and Dobbs attended at the location at 8.20pm - there were four cars at the location and music being played. The occupants of the vehicles were suitably advised re noise level. The officers reattended at 9.15pm. There were 17 cars at the car park and again loud music being played - the youths were spoken to and advised to leave the premises which they did, as they had already been advised re noise level.
- >> Liaise with Youth Workers - 14/02/2012
- PCSO Freeth is making arrangements to liaise with Bridgend Youth Workers when next on duty to make arrangements for joint visits to be carried out in the area. Further enquiries will also be made regarding funding and also for SWFRS FOCUS ST to attend at the location.
- >> Patrols - 12/02/2012
- PCSO Freeth carried out patrols at 9pm in the company of PCSO Dobbs. A maximum of 5 vehicles were at the location at any one time. The same youths were at the location and were again spoken to by the officers. Everything was in order, there were no anti social behaviour issues found.
- >> Patrols - 11/02/2012
- PCSO Freeth and Bowen carried out patrols in the area tonight. There were only 7 cars maximum in the car park at one time. Several youths were spoken to by the officers, there were no issues or offences disclosed.
- >> Warnings Issued - 26/01/2012
- Between 8.30pm and 10pm, PC Walter Pennell, Dog Section, carried out a speeding operation in the area resulting in 2 EFPN (Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notices) and 12 Warning Notices being issued to drivers.
- >> Patrols - 24/01/2012
- PCSO Freeth patrolled the area a number of times tonight - there were approximately 12 cars in The Rhiw. There were no anti social behaviour issues.
- >> Update - 11/01/2012
This is an ongoing issue which is being jointly worked on by BCBC (youth workers) and the Police, We have attended the location on a number of occasions with the youth workers to engage with the youths and educate them about driving safely and why it is important not to cause ASB, fewer section 59's have been issued to the youths who use the area.
We will continue to work with the youth workers at the location as at present it is going well and there have been fewer ASB incidents at the location.
We have arranged for a PIMPED car to go to the Rhiw car park on the 18th January .
PCSO Freeth believes if we continue to work with the youths then it will reduce the ASB at the location and it would be used properly.
The Newcastle PACT Meeting was held on Tuesday, 10th January, 2012 and it was decided at the meeting that this should remain as a priority and updates given at the next meeting on 27th March, 2012.
- >> Joint Patrols - 16/12/2011
- Patrols have been carried out by police and BCBC Youth Workers and no major issues have occurred. this evening although there were numerous vehicles in the area.
- >> Patrols - 11/12/2011
- PCSO Freeth attended the location this evening and spoke to several persons who were there in their vehicles which were parked up correctly. The youths were just socialising and there were no issues at the location.
- >> Patrols - 30/11/2011
- Patrols were carried out in the area around 9.15pm by PC Walter Pennell of the Dog Section. Everything appeared in order.
- >> PACT Meeting - 29/11/2011
- The Newcastle Ward PACT Meeting was held this evening and it was decided that this should remain a PACT priority.
- >> Engage with youths - 28/11/2011
- PCSO Freeth attended the Rhiw on Thursday, 24th November in company with BCBC Youth Workers to engage with the youths who attend the location. In total there was in excess of 28 vehicles in the area. The youths are regular visitors to the area and they were spoken to by PCSO Freeth and youth workers. It was also explained to the youths why the officer and youth workers were at the location and engaging with them. This went well and it is hoped that a joint visit can be carried out again.
- >> Patrols - 22/11/2011
- PC Pennell, Dog Section, patrolled the area at 8.30pm - everything appeared in order.
- >> Update - 19/11/2011
- PCSO Freeth has carried out patrols over the weekend and did not receive any reports of anti social behaviour or vehicle annoyance. Regular patrols will be kept in the area and the situation monitored.
- >> Patrols - 26/10/2011
- PCSO Freeth carried out patrols in the area this evening - there were no issues and no vehicles in the Rhiw Car Park.
- >> Vehicle Seized - 18/10/2011
- PCSO Freeth reports that one vehicle was seized under Section 59 of the Police Reform Act and removed from the location. Anti social use of vehicles will not be tolerated and will be dealt with appropriately.
- >> Speed Detection Operation - 14/10/2011
- PCs Walter Pennell and Mel Pascoe of the Dog Section, carried out a speed detection operation in the area. They issued the following to motorists: 10 HORT/1 (forms requesting production of driving documents at a police station), 9 FT71 (Warnings) and 1 Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice to a driver travelling over the speed limit.
- >> Patrols - 24/09/2011
- PCSO Freeth patrolled the area this evening - a large number of vehicles were using the Rhiw car park, however, there were no offences disclosed. Everything was in order but the area will still continue to be monitored on a regular basis.
- >> Patrols - 19/09/2011
- PC Pennell of the Dog Section patrolled the area at 9pm - everything was in order.
- >> Patrols - 18/09/2011
- PCSO Freeth continues to carry out patrols in the area. He reports that 12 vehicles were moved on from the Rhiw car park this evening. All details have been taken.
- >> Section 59 Warning Issued - 07/09/2011
- PCSOs Freeth and Davies attended at the Rhiw - a Section 59 Warning was issued to one driver and a large number of vehicles were moved from the car park at 9.15pm
- >> Patrols - 05/09/2011
- PCSO Freeth reports that patrols were carried out this evening in the area. A large number of vehicles were in the car park and 1 driver was issued with a Section 59 Warning for erratic driving.
- >> Night Shift Patrols - 24/08/2011
- PC's Chris Corish and Mark Johns, Armed Response Group, carried out patrols on the night shift . Everything was in order when officers were in the area.
- >> Night Shift Patrols - 17/08/2011
- PC Chris Corish carried out patrols on the night shift - everything was in order.
- >> Patrols - 12/08/2011
- PC Pennell, Dog Section, patrolled the area around 8.30pm - everything was in order.
- >> Patrols - 11/08/2011
- PCSO Freeth reports that over the last two nights, patrols have been made in the area by Neighbourhood Policing Team Officers and everything has been in order.
- >> PACT Meeting Update - 09/08/2011
- The Newcastle Ward PACT Meeting was held this evening, 16 persons attended, and it was decided that speeding should remain a priority.
- >> Patrols - 03/08/2011
- PC Pennell, Dog Section, patrolled the area at 9.38pm - there were no vehicles in the area.
- >> Patrols - 25/07/2011
- High visibility patrol was carried out at 10.30pm by PC Pennell. He reports that a number of vehicles were seen in the area but no offences disclosed at the time.
- >> Patrols - 24/07/2011
- PC Fox, Armed Response Team, carried out patrols in the area just after 8.30pm tonight - no speeding vehicles, all in order.
- >> Patrols - 17/07/2011
- Just before 10.30pm, PC Pennell, Dog Section, carried out patrols in the area - all in order at this time.
- >> Update - 26/06/2011
- PCSO Freeth reports that there have been no issues with boy racers this weekend and no further reports from the community members.
- >> PACT Meeting - 10/01/2011
The PACT Meeting was held this evening and it was decided that this should remain a priority and will be discussed at the next meeting in March. Councillor Unwin is making enquiries as to whether the gravel area on the ground floor of the car park can be closed off in the evenings.
What we did
Extensive patrols have been made in the area. Excellent partnership working with South Wales Fire & Rescue RTC Reduction Team has provided positive engagement with the youths in the area. BCBC has scheduled the Rhiw Car Park to close and for river plates to be introduced so that vehicles will not be able to access the building after 8pm, only exit the car park. Local residents have updated officers that there have been minimal issues regarding speeding in the area. They have agreed that this priority can now be finalised .
Return to Previous Page